London’s first free, shared electric bike scheme, launches in Islington today with a 200 e-bike trial. 1,000 additional e-bikes will be rolled out across Central London in the coming months.
Offering twenty free minutes daily (approximately the time it takes to cycle 5 kilometres across London), HumanForest is facilitating a fun, active and sustainable way to move around the city.
The HumanForest vision is one of accessible and inclusive mobility, backed by corporate partnerships. With the offering of free minutes and no unlocking fee, it is a movement that all Londoners can be part of. By opting to make their daily journey on a HumanForest e-bike, Londoners signal their commitment to reducing their carbon footprint and improving our city’s air quality. Working together they become, in essence, a Human Forest.
HumanForest e-bikes are high quality; electric, dockless, zero-emission and powered by renewable energy. Once the free twenty daily minutes are used up, the e-bike costs just £0.12p per minute. No unlocking fee. Users can pause their ride, parking the e-bike for up to 23 hours. The e-bikes can reach up to 15mph, are GPS-tracked and are locked and unlocked exclusively via the HumanForest App.
Co-founder, Caroline Seton, says, “Above all, HumanForest is about giving free and sustainable mobility to everyone. Londoners, making conscious choices, can help create a more ecologically friendly future for our city and it's our mission to change transport behaviour. Together we can create a greener, healthier future for London.”
“The transformation towards a more sustainable society has accelerated in recent months and transport is a very real way for Londoners to make a difference, not just to the environment but to their wellbeing too. Cars are responsible for 60% of all transport-related emissions. Yet two thirds of car trips made by Londoners could be cycled in under 19 minutes. As London embarks on one of the world’s largest car-free initiatives, there’s a huge opportunity to rethink how we move, pushing forward the transformation towards a more sustainable society.”
Cllr Rowena Champion, Islington’s Executive Member for Environment and Transport, said: “Bike-sharing offers an easy, healthy, green way for Islington’s residents, workers and visitors to navigate their way around the borough as they make essential trips.
“HumanForest’s sustainable e-bikes will help to encourage people of all ages and abilities to take up cycling as an alternative to using motor vehicles - boosting their own personal fitness whilst contributing towards a cleaner, more environmentally-friendly borough.
“The Council is working hard to create people-friendly streets, where it is easier and safer to walk and cycle, and where streets are better and more pleasant for all. Welcoming HumanForest’s sustainable e-bikes is another step towards achieving this goal, and we look forward to seeing local people benefit from them.”
Download the App via the App Store or Google Play, create an account and then start riding.
+44 7447 619 741
The HumanForest e-bike features:
• Electric – Integrated electric pedal-assist speeds up short journeys and opens up new, longer journeys. The electric assist responds to the effort of the rider, giving a boost when pedalling but slowing down like a push bike when you stop pedalling.
• Geo-fence technology – Users will only be able to lock their e-bike and end their ride within permitted parking zones.
• Phone mount – Smartphones can be attached securely to the handlebars for useful turn-by-turn navigation.
• Swappable battery – Swappable battery packs are charged remotely and replaced as needed by the HumanForest team. Each charge covers up to 80km and the batteries themselves last for over 5 years.
• Internal engine – Central engine improves energy consumption and contributes to a lighter, more efficient e-bike.
• Internal lock – All powered via your phone, no physical e-bike lock and unlock function.
• Made to last – The e-bike is designed and made for sharing, using sturdy, durable materials.